Sunday, June 13, 2010

Regrets

Currently reading - Watch and Learn by Stephanie Bond

A couple of days ago, someone I hugely admire and respect lamented a genre road not taken in her career. It wasn't so much the lament that bothered me so much as her response when I asked her why not try that road now.

To paraphrase, it was because she didn't have the time and she didn't want to do the research.

I was floored. This is the same excuse she hears regularly at book signings from members of the public. The same folks who would say to her, "Well, if I had the time, I'd write a book too."

I know part of my disappointment is the realization that one of my idols is human, and I fully claim this shortcoming.

But the other part is seeing a wonderful, adaptive writer, who's celebrated extreme highs and suffered devestating lows but always come out with her head high, give her talents such short shrift.

If there's anything any of you take from this post, please let it be this:

1) Don't underestimate yourself.

2) Don't go through life regretting the road not taken.

3) If you're a writer, write in the genre you love FIRST!

No comments:

Post a Comment