Friday, August 6, 2010

Productivity

Currently reading - Undead and Unfinished by MaryJanice Davidson

Yesterday was fairly productive. Not a lot of new pages, but at least I hit the 100-page mark on the new wip. What I'm mainly doing is re-reading for cohesiveness and editing for clarity.

DGW was my 2009 NaNoWriMo project. Needless to say, between homeschooling GK and working the Day Job, I didn't make the 50K goal. Going back to work on it, I realized the pacing was rushed, so most of the last thirty-five pages I've written put the story back on a managable roller coaster ride instead of the Saturn V with no parachutes it was originally on.

Now, I'm not saying my story-telling is perfect, but I think it shows growth that I can go back to a work months after I had to put it aside and see exactly where I went wrong.

So what about the rest of you? Met any goals this week? Learned something new?

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the hundred pages -- that's always a great milestone. :)

    I've found that going back later pretty much always gives me a clearer picture of what a story's doing and what's wrong with it. Pity I so rarely have that extra time -- much less several months -- to look at it. [wry smile] I'm more a finish it barely to deadline and then slam it out type of person.

    I made a 1 August deadline for my publisher's Halloween short story blitz (see above finish-barely-on-deadline note) and haven't written a word since. :P I'm up visiting my mom and brother for my birthday, so I have to spend time with them and all and thus have an excuse, but this year's been pretty sucky over-all for writing, so I can't lean too hard on the visiting excuse. We'll see how the rest of the month goes.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete