Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Wrestling with Pigs

Currently reading - Death's Excellent Vacation, edited by Charlaine Harris and Toni L. P. Kelner

George Bernard Shaw had it right. Wrestling pigs is not a good thing.

I admit I spent the last two days wallowing. I entered AVT in a writing contest a few months ago. AVT did not final.

I'm very proud of it. It's the tighest book I've written so far. Other books have finaled. Heck, the second book I ever wrote missed finaling by one friggin' point. If I'm totally honest, it didn't deserve that high of score. But AVT? When the worst thing any of my critique partners said was I went a little gerund crazy? Then yes, it did deserve a high score.

Unfortunately, I've got a feeling why it didn't do so well. The subject's a little quirky. My heroine's an Amish vampire.

Well, technically Anne's not Amish. She was bitten before she was baptized in the church. And a lot of the internal conflict is Anne trying to reconcile her Amish upbringing with what she is now--an eighty-year-old virgin.

(Oops, wrong story!)

. . .trying to reconcile her Amish upbringing with what she is now--an Enforcer (the vampire equivalent to a cop).

So I'm sitting here for the last two days, fretting about the judges' comments I haven't even received yet. Do they matter? In the long run, probably not. I did my best. And wallowing about it only leaves me covered in a layer of mud.

Damn, I need a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment