Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What's the Hardest Part?

Currently reading - Heaven's Spite by Lilith Saintcrow

So what is the hardest thing about writing?

Is it finding the right idea?  Is it the 'butt in chair?'  Is it the editng, the synopsis, the query letter?  What about finding the guts to submit, to make the personal pitch at a conference, to simply press the 'SEND' button?  What about that new proposal to your editor?  Getting swallowed by your promotional plan?  Accepting the critcism and the bad reviews?

The hardest thing is different for everybody.  You've got to tackle the fear that makes that one thing so freaking hard.  It's the only way to succeed.

My hardest thing is dealing with people.  I'd love nothing more than to hide in my office and not deal with the human race for days at a time.  That's the trouble with being an introvert to the Nth degree.  Dealing with people feels like I'm being eaten alive.  And in a way, I am.

But I've got to work on that fear, that energy drain.  Fans expect a lot more out of their favorite authors these days.  And dammit, I want to be someone's favorite author.

No comments:

Post a Comment