Wednesday, December 8, 2010

When an Idea Just Won't Go Away

Currently reading - Poisoned Kisses by Stephanie Draven

What does a writer do when an idea refuses to let go of the brain?  I understand not all stories are meant to be written.  There's enough detrius in my wake to show that not every germ of a plot can make a satisfying read.

There's the sweet erotica.  (Yeah, I'm not sure how that happened either).  There's the amnesiac heiress and the poor, but sexy, artist that rescues her from a boating accident.  (Can you say '70's soap plot?  Really bad '70's soap plot?)  There's the veteran helicopter pilot faced with her ex and his love child in Hawaii.  (After watching the first eleven episodes of the new Hawaii 5-O, I may dig that one out from under the bed.  *grin*)

But lately, there's this particular idea that just will not release its clutches on my gray matter.  I've made two starts on the novel.  One made it to sixty pages.  The second made it to one hundred.  I'm not happy with either version, so I laid aside all writing for the last three weeks trying to give the conscious mind a rest.  Well, all writing except for the blog.

Maybe the rest will do my creative side some good.  And maybe, just maybe, when I sit down to work on this idea the third time will be the charm, and not a strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment