Friday, March 4, 2011

The Line in the Sand

Currently reading - Pale Demon by Kim Harrison (HC)

I have internet back, but now we don't have our home phone line.  Hey, I didn't want to talk to telemarketers anyway.  LOL  (Yes, we're on the No-Call list, but it doesn't prevent companies you are doing business with from calling you incessantly.)

This week there seems to be a lot of folks drawing lines in the sand in various blogs and news articles.  Either you're for traditional print publishing or you're for independent e-publishing.  For most of these people, there's no middle ground.

I'm addressing the writers out there--don't cut off your nose to spite your face.  The fantastic thing about the current changes/chaos/opportunities is they widen our horizons as artists.

Take a good hard look at what you write.  How are you as an artist best served in finding your audience?  I freely admit I'm a niche writer.  Zombies, with a few exceptions, aren't exactly mainstream.  Therefore, traditional publishing is probably not where I'm going to find my audience.

Ask yourselves the hard questions to find your place in the new publishing world.  And don't diss someone because they took a different path than you.  I believe in the threefold law.  Whether you call it karma or the golden rule, do you really want people walking away from your terrific stories because they perceive you as a total jerk?

No comments:

Post a Comment