Monday, June 6, 2011

Advice Is Only Good If . . .

Currently reading - Vampire Mine by Kerrelyn Sparks (MMPB)

(1) it's worth following, and
(2) you follow it.

I've had a few people asking for advice in the indie publishing arena.  I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I can tell them what's worked for me.  I can also refer them to people who I believe know what they're talking about.

Like J.A. Konrath and his blog A Newbie's Guide to Publishing.  All of Joe's promotional antics aside, he makes a lot of good points.  He also has what he calls the Four Rules for indie authors, but after listening to him, I believe he really has five.

1) A good book

Really, folks.  There's no way around this one.  Craft is king.  If you don't make the time to learn the craft of fiction, you're screwed.

2) A good cover

Thanks to evolution, humans are visual hunters.  No getting around the concept applying to books because if you do a general-type search on Amazon or Barnes & Noble, what pops up and draws your eye first?  Yeah, the covers.  And if you have some half-assed cover that screams amatuer, folks will pass you by.

3) A good blurb

After the cover, the next thing a potential buyer looks at is the blurb.  Your online blurb is no different than the query letter you send to an agent or editor.  Okay, it's a little different, but the purpose is to entice the potential buyer to read your book.  If you have run-on sentences, repetition or the phrasing is confusing, the reader will assume, rightly or wrongly, your prose will be the same.

4) A good price

This is the tricky part to me.  I don't want to give away my work, but I also don't want to price it to where people don't think they're getting their money's worth.  Don't be afraid to experiment a little.

5) Good luck

The one thing in the list that the indie writer can't control.  But if you get the first four right, you may find that Number 5 seems to appear out of nowhere.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have number one as number one. I think it's the most essential thing for Indies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And ironically, it's the thing everyone forgets, Tess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading JA Konrath's post. These are great rules to follow! And I agree with you on #5. Luck plays a big part as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, the luck part applies no matter which route you take to publication, Melissa. You gotta be in the right place at the right time.

    ReplyDelete