Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Woman Plans, The Gods Laugh

Currently reading - Vampire Mine by Kerrelyn Sparks (MMPB)

I didn't even make it past the first week of summer vacation before something hit the fan.  *sigh*

School was done, I was only scheduled to work four days a week at the Day Job, and I had my writing/publishing production schedule for the next three months mapped out.

First emergency:  The cover art arrived for Blood Magick.  It was beautiful art, but it wouldn't work as a book cover.  So DH and I put together an emergency photo shoot.  The results were far better than either of us expected.  In fact, DH was so proud of his work that he's got the next few covers planned out for me.  Potential disaster averted, right?

Second emergency:  The husband of my Day Job colleague Bea was rushed to the ER, unable to breathe.  He's still in ICU and looking at surgery.  Unfortunately, our manager runs a lean staff, which means overhauling the shift scheduling since we're not sure how soon Bea will be back.  Instead of 20 hours for four days a week, I'll be working close to 40 hours for five days a week for an unknown length of time.  Shit happens, but I'll give our manager credit for not dumping Bea on the street when she's in the middle of a family crisis.  Not sure yet how this will affect my summer release schedule.

Third "issue":  Not an emergency, but I had to laugh.  We have a waterbed.  The bed heater decided to croak Monday night.  Do you have any idea how uncomfortable it is to sleep in an unheated waterbed?  Even when it's 100 degrees outside?

Guess it's a good thing I'm pulling in some extra money this summer.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. God bless to your colleague. Hope work turns out okay--sounds like the cover art thing ironed out. Not ever having owned a waterbed, I don't know much about the whole water heater thing--but I hope that irons out soon. Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bethany. I know Bea would appreciate any extra prayers.

    Ironically, the extra shifts I'm pulling will end up paying for the new waterbed heater. In the meantime, we put a heavy afghan between the mattress pad and the sheets for insulation. It worked quite nicely last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Best wishes to Bea and her husband.

    And yes, I hate waterbeds even when they're heated, and unheated? [shiver]

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL DH is with you, Angie, but I'm not willing to give the coziness. Especially when we move back north.

    ReplyDelete