Thursday, July 11, 2013

Judge Cote Takes a Bite Out of Apple

I should have commented on the DOJ v. Apple lawsuit yesterday when Judge Denise Cote handed down her decision in the matter. The problem was I couldn't stop laughing.

Folks, if you break the law, the excuse of "The Devil made me do it!" is NOT a defense. Substitute "Amazon" for "The Devil" and the results will be pretty much the same. Don't believe me? Try it the next time you get pulled over for speeding.

Not once did Apple present any evidence that they did not collude with five of what-was-then the Big Six publishing houses. (Random House, which was not accused of conspiracy to fix prices, has since merged with Penguin.)

If you don't believe me, feel free to examine the evidence (which is public in the U.S.), and read Judge Cote's opinion.

Of course, Apple will spend millions to fight this all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. On one hand, I'd love to be one of their attorneys.

On the other hand, I don't want to be associated with stupid clients.

3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking there's a great many stupid clients out there. Hey, do you miss practicing law?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or, every now and then is there a case you'd like to take? And then the next day go right back to writing.

      Delete
  2. Do I miss practicing law, Whisk? In two words--HELL NO!

    I enjoy writing. I may have the occasional person leave "This sucks!" as a review, but that's the worst thing that's happened so far. (I take that back. I had a handful of fellow writers who I thought were friends try to sandbag my sales. That hurt, but it backfired on them.)

    Practicing law though literally sent my blood pressure through the roof before I was forty.

    ReplyDelete