Monday, July 22, 2013

My First Time Doing Proofs

Like I said back in May, I sold a story to Sword and Sorceress 28. On Friday, July 5th, I got the proofs from editor Elisabeth Waters. For the whole damn book, not just my story.

You have no idea how hard it's been NOT to read the other authors' stories. Mainly, because I want to order the volume and devour it in a weekend like I normally do. Then there's the added joy that my story is right next to Deborah J. Ross (aka Deborah Wheeler). Fan girl *squeeeeeeeeee*

In a way, it's unsettling seeing how my writing will look in a print book. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I need to tackle putting my indie books in print, and I'm slightly intimidated. Maybe because I didn't think this day would ever come with the tightening of the trad market.

I tried to relay my concerns to DH that evening. He pointed out that maybe it would be more time efficient for me to hire people to do the formatting and covers for the print editions. When I showed him some of the designers and artists and laid out their costs, he surprised me by saying, "That's it? We need to start hiring people to help you, so you can get more writing done."

I keep forgetting that he deals with five- and six-figure contracts as a matter of business, so my piddly three-figure costs are nothing to him.

But for now, I need to keep my attention on my business, which means returning my proofs to my editor on time.

By the way, have I said how excited I am about being in Sword and Sorceress 28?

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I had the same problem, just focusing on my story when I got the How to Save the World proof copy. :) It was more enjoyable reading the paperback when it finally arrived, so keep reminding yourself of that.

    This is completely awesome, BTW! [waves pompoms for you]

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know it wasn't just me wanting to devour everyone else's stories in the anthology, Angie!

    And thank you! I think it's completely awesome too! It just doesn't seem real yet. LOL

    ReplyDelete