Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday Movie Mania - Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters

First of all, let me say that both my son and I love Rick Riordan's series involving Percy Jackson, the son of Poseidon. Rick does an incredible job of updating Greek mythology and making it accessible to today's kids.

Second of all, let me say Logan Lerman is an amazing young actor. I LOVED Perks of Being a Wallflower and The Lightning Thief. But even with a dream cast including Stanley Tucci, Nathan Fillion and Anthony Stewart Head, this movie could not be saved.

Like World War Z, this movie only has the title and a handful of elements to link it to its source book. Unlike World War Z, there was almost nothing to redeem it even with the Civil War zombies used as comedic relief (which if you've read the book, you'll know what I'm talking about).

I wasn't the only one angry about how the producers, director and writer treated Rick's source material. GK walked out of the theater furious as hell and bitched about how they mishandled one of his favorite books all the way home and well into the next day.

I have to give a lot of credit to Logan and the rest of the cast for attempting to redeem a sucky script, but not even Meryl Streep and Sir Laurence Olivier could have saved this turkey.

The cast's efforts are the ONLY reason I give this movie a score of 2 out of 10.

DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY! GO BUY RICK'S BOOKS INSTEAD!

2 comments:

  1. These are middle-grade books, just for a heads up. The first movie, The Lightning Thief, was pretty good. Of course, there's always stuff they have to leave out because of time contraints, but the few bits that were changed in TLT added to the story.

    The Sea of Monsters? Seriously, don't waste your time or money. There's only been two other movies I've ever said that about: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and Happily Never After.

    ReplyDelete