Friday, November 1, 2013

It's NaNoWriMo Time!*

*Sung to the tune of the Howdy Doody theme song.

Yes, it's November! That month when thousands of writers sit down to draft (from scratch, mind you) 50,000 words in thirty days. If you want to take up the challenge, there's still time to sign up!

Some people freak about the process. To those writers I say, if you want people to respect your style, then you have to respect theirs. To all the other naysayers I say, go tootsie frootsie yourself!**

National Novel Writing Month is a great way to kick start a new project or force yourself to finish one. As I told a young lady over at The Passive Voice, there's no wrong way to do NaNoWriMo (or "NaNo" for short). It is simply whatever you need it to be.

I'll let you in on a little secret. One of the Bloodlines novels was written during a previous NaNo. If you can guess which one, I'll send you one of my novels of your choice. Just e-mail me at suzan at suzanharden dot com.

So what will be my project this year? I was going to do Zombie Goddess, but there's an issue in the middle that needs a little more percolating thanks to an unexpected turn of events in Blood Sacrifice. (I love it when my subconscious does some weird shit.)

In the meantime, DH has been bugging me since March about writing a full-length novel starring Anthea and Luc, the characters from my short story "Justice". So I thought, why not?

This should be a fun, off-the-wall project after the struggle I went through with the last novel. I view it as a sword and sorcery version of CSI  It all starts with a dead woman found in a wine barrel at Lord Marco's estate...

I've got chocolate, popcorn, tea, Pepsi and a working laptop. I'm ready!



** Yes, I stole that from Craig Ferguson's The Late, Late Show.

4 comments:

  1. I view it as a sword and sorcery version of CSI It all starts with a dead woman found in a wine barrel at Lord Marco's estate...

    That actually sounds pretty awesome, said as someone who likes sword and sorcery, and watched all the various versions of CSI. :)

    Angie, who has 1928 words on her NaNo project, woot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Writing to you, my friend. Tim is signed up for this game as well. Me? I'm not sure. Since I left my prep job, I have been writing something, but I'm not sure that I want to commit to such an intense game of word count.

    Whatever I decide, I will cheer you guys on. Woohoo! Here's to the first of November. Go you NaNoHeads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Angie! I'm actually trying to do this project seat-of-the-pants/DWS style. We'll see how it turns out.

    What's Tim's username, Whisk? We'll buddy with him if he wants. And it's okay not wanting to commit. Everybody has there own methods for motivation. I do better if I have deadlines, whether they are outside-imposed like NaNo or my own personal deadlines. It makes me get my ass in the chair (or couch) and type. But I know lots of other writers, who have tried NaNo and the pressure freezes their muse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will email you his username.

      The writing project I already started a few weeks ago. Plus I'm in the middle of my equinox challenge for the house. Those are two very good goals for me.

      Just for a second, I thought it would be fun to join Tim but after looking at what I'm already doing, and since ass to chair is my strong point, I'll just keep on truckin'.

      PS: I moved my coupon station next to my Internet-Free writing desk and I love it. Will post pictures or send them to you in email.

      PPS: Much fun to you in the 50k challenge.

      Delete