Friday, November 8, 2013

Why "I Write Like..." Has Changed

If you've been paying attention to the badge at the top of my blog, you'll notice it's changed from "William Gibson" to "Jack London."

Why? When I fed in the first chapter of Blood Sacrifice, the cute little analyzer said I wrote like the author of the sci-fi classic Neuromancer. Last Friday, I fed in my first chapter of Sword of Justice, and the analyzer spit out the writer of The Call of the Wild.

So, is there really a difference in my writing? Probably. I'm definitely using more formal, almost antique, language in Sword of Justice since it's more of a classic fantasy type story. I'm just surprised how MUCH of a difference it makes. Wondering if it was popping out crap at random, I tested several of my other novels.

Blood Magick - Margaret Mitchell
Zombie Love - Stephen King
Zombie Wedding - Ian Fleming
Amish, Vamps & Thieves - Gertrude Stein
Zombie Goddess - J.K. Rowling

I'm a little disappointed to say the least.

5 comments:

  1. You having fun with this? Sounds like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Actually, this was me being very bored on Day 2 of my four-day vacation.

      Delete
  2. That is kind of weird. :/ I wonder what the algorithm looks like? If it just analyzes vocabulary, then it'd make sense it'd change from book to book. (Although it'd be a bit odd to change from one book to another in the same series.) If it actually looks at grammar and writing style (which would be harder to program for, I'd think) then I'd expect at least some consistency between books. [ponder]

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of figured it was a vocabulary algorithm at first, which was why I plugged in the other novels to see if I could figure it out. But then I decided I really didn't care and popped Season 2 of The Big Bang Theory into the Blu-Ray player.

      Delete
  3. Hi Stu Rat! Welcome to the insane asylum! "Vampires witches stakes" should have at least gotten me Anne Rice. *grin*

    ReplyDelete