Friday, February 13, 2015

Everyone's Journey Is Different

Between getting a chapter to my writing partner, working with the new formatter and cover artist for the Bloodlines series, one nasty-ass back spasm, and the stomach flu over the last two weeks, posting on the blog has been the last thing on my mind.

Ironic, isn't it? Especially since I normally use this blog to unclutter my mind.

Over the last couple of days when I could think beyond the pain and its killers, I've read a lot of personal stories from other writers. Then came the comments from others that put down the journeys of their fellow writers.

I find it sad that the commenters feel the need to disparage those who tell of their journeys. So many of us are just starting on the path. Many more are much farther down the road. Some of us branch off on the side roads. But I'm finding there's a lot of ego involved if writers are not in lockstep with each other.

At one point this week, I speculated privately on whether an experienced writer was performing a certain act in order to stay motivated. Whether or not s/he was actually doing this act in order to stay motivated is totally irrelevant. However, I offended a friend who knows this writer personally. Insulting my friend or the writer in question was not my intent. To me, the question was could this act help motivate my friend. By drawing the parallel, I failed to point out a possible path that might work for my friend, and I accidentally came across as criticizing the experienced author.

Does this mean I shouldn't talk about other writers? I don't think so. However, I will be more mindful of my words in the future.

The only writer's process I can truly and truthfully comment on is my own. I write this blog to document my journey. I've made some missteps. I've learned some things. I've taken paths that in the end were not right for me.

If you're new to the writing/publishing industry, this blog is not a blueprint for success and riches. Hopefully, you'll read this and avoid the major pits I fell into. Or you'll figure out that what I'm doing isn't right for you, and you need to find another road.

If you're an experienced author and you're reading this, my choices are not a reflection of yours. Different paths taken have nothing to do with "right" or "wrong". My questions are not a judgment either. Most of the time, I really don't understand why a writer did what they did, and I try to work it out in my head by writing a post.

The last thing I want is for all of us to do the exact same thing. That's my gripe as a reader. All the books coming out of trad publishing began to be the exact same thing. It's boring. It's tedious. It's why I started writing my own stories.

What it comes down to is storytelling is art. When any art is in lockstep with other art, it defeats the purpose of all art. Vive La Difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment