Monday, March 13, 2017

Monday Movie Mania - Logan

I have to admit my mind is still spinning over this movie. First of all, anyone going into this flick thinking it will be a Disney/Marvel MCU spandex fest or even a shitty 20th Century Fox X-men film are going to be sorely disappointed.

This is a western noir. Think Unforgiven. Okay, it's Unforgiven with superpowers, but it definitely isn't your mommy's comic book flick.


* * *


SPOILERS


* * *


PROS
1) The movie takes bits and pieces from the Old Man Logan comics storyline. However in this version, Logan's not the one who was responsible for slaughtering the other X-men, which I admit makes me feel a lot better about the character. The way the filmmakers handle it gives an extra layer of guilt to Logan and makes his decisions that much harder.

2) Caliban was handled better in this movie than he was in X-men: Apocalypse. He's the tragic hero he was meant to be.

3) Dafne Keen as Laura/X-23 was a marvel! Keep your eye on this actor.


CONS

1) Allegedly, this is Hugh Jackman's last stint as Wolverine. I'm a little disappointed because I would have loved to see a Deadpool/Wolverine movie that didn't suck the way X-men Origins: Wolverine did.

2) This is also supposed to be Sir Patrick Stewart's last stint as Professor Charles Xavier. While James McAvoy does a great job as Professor X, Stewart will always be my first love in that role simply because I wanted to see him play Charles since 1987.

3) My only real issue is Donald Pierce leading the Reavers instead of Lady Deathstrike. But no, the idiots at 20th Century Fox already killed her off several movies ago. I would have loved to see Kelly Hu as an independent, autonomous X-villain. Unfortunately, the movie version of Pierce is just as much of a wuss as the comicbook version.


Overall, I give Logan 9.5 stars out of 10. Sorry, but I can't forgive using Pierce here.

No comments:

Post a Comment