Monday, May 15, 2017

Monday Movie Mania - Pitch Black

Yeah, I know Pitch Black came out in 2000. DH and I had planned to see it because we were huge Farscape and Claudia Black fans. Morning sickness had other plans. So by the time I stopped worshipping the porcelain god, the movie was long gone from theaters.

Over the years, I caught bits and pieces on cable. Every time we rented videos, there was always something else someone else wanted to watch, and being a mom at this point, I gave in. So when Pitch Black was on during the recent HBO/Cinemax weekend, I recorded it, and FINALLY I watched it uncut all the way through.

Note: Yes, I saw The Chronicles of Riddick and Riddick long before  I saw Pitch Black.

And since it's been seventeen years, I'm not giving my standard SPOILERS alert.

Pitch Black has a few trope tweaks, but for the most part, it's standard sci-fi horror. The criminal is the hero, the lawman is a junkie, and the holy man actually survives though the pilgrims traveling with him don't.

Unfortunately, the first Vin Diesel flick I saw was The Pacifier, and I've seen the entire Fast & Furious series plus the other Riddick films. I really couldn't get into Riddick as a bad guy. Dangerous, yes, but not evil. Both the pilot and the bounty hunter would qualify more as "evil" in their desire to sacrifice innocents for their own survival than the so-called murderer.

Overall, it's a solid, fun, B sci-fi/horror flick. It would be nice if the series could continue because I want to know more about the character Riddick.

I give Pitch Black an 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment