Friday, February 9, 2018

Snow Day!

A huge storm passed through Chicago and Detroit last night. We were supposed to be on the southern edge. The weather reports said we would get 0-1 inches while Toledo, which is an hour north of us, expected 7-9 inches.

Needless to say, we got a little more than an inch. Genius Kid and I said, "Screw it," and went back to bed. Okay, we both stayed in bed. When Genius Kid's alarm went off, he checked the school closures report and rolled over.

On the other hand, I slept through the whole thing. My stamina sucks these days. I've been getting up every morning to do writing sprints with a fellow author. But he wasn't going to be able to do it this morning, so I didn't bother to set my alarm.

This afternoon though, I've got to get back to work. Over the last four days, I've been writing 1,500 words on Hero Ad Hoc in the morning and reviewing the e-book proof of A Modicum of Truth.

[Lesson Learned: Don't write a 100K epic fantasy in the middle of a major release cycle. I'm not touching A Matter of Death until my schedule is clear.]

Luckily, the guys are still planning on their night out with Papa. I'll have extra time since I won't have to make dinner, and I'll have a silent apartment for roughly two hours.

I'm also not baking today as is my usually wont on a snow day. I made mint chocolate chip cookies on Monday. (Only a two-hour delay though.) I don't think my waistline can handle more no matter what those cans of pumpkin in the cupboard are whispering.

So for those of you in the snow belt, how do you handle snow days with the kids?

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a pumpkin fan, but I made pumpkin muffins for Jim to take to the aquarium around... Halloween, I think. They were pretty yummy.

    Two hours of silence is awesome. :D Happy writing!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two hours of quiet was wonderful! As was the crab alfredo they brought for me.

      Pumpkin pie is both our favorites, but since he whaled through the ones I made as Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, I said he needed to make the next one.

      Delete
    2. but since he whaled through the ones I made as Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, I said he needed to make the next one.

      Sounds fair to me. :)

      Angie

      Delete